Potawatomi Nation Case Study
How did members of the Potawatomi Nation, who originally lived in Michigan, end up living in Oklahoma? These sources allow you to further investigate this story of American Indian removal.
During their history, the Potawatomi Nation signed many treaties with the United States, giving up more and more of their lands. This treaty finally forced the Potawatomi Nation to remove to Indian Territory.
Be the Political Analyst
Why was the 1836 Treaty with the Potawatomi made?
- How much land was the Potawatomi Nation expected to give up in this treaty? (They originally owned much more.)
- How much was the Potawatomi Nation being paid?
- What else was the Potawatomi Nation losing or gaining?
- What was the United States gaining?
- What is a possible result of the rule created in Article 4 of this treat? Share your idea with others to compare possible outcomes.